St. Joseph's Chapel
St. Joseph's Parish formally closed in October 2013. St. Joseph's Chapel is now a part of St. Elizabeth Seton Parish. The chapel is open in the Spring and Summer from Memorial day to Labor day.
St. Joseph's was dedicated in 1882. In 1929 the wife of Dr. Frank R Lillie, Director of the Marine Biological Laboratory gave the now familiar stone bell tower. Its two bells were cast in England and named for the Catholic scientists, Mendel and Pasteur.
St. Joseph's Mary Garden
St. Joseph's Mary Garden was founded in 1932 by Frances Crane Lillie. It is believed to be the first public Mary Garden in the US. Please see our slides of the current Mary Garden.